Training the local private sector in Simple, Market based, Affordable, and Repairable Technologies
The CCAP SMART Centre Malawi
January 2018 Training ProgramFrom 16 - 26 January the CCAP SMART Centre is running a course in 'Basic Manual Drilling'. The Basic Manual Drilling training will train in the Mzuzu Drilling Technology. This basic manual drilling technology combines Auguring and Bailing is capable of drilling wells of up to 18 meters deep and is especially suitable for soft soils (sand, clay, small gravel). The method can also be used to deepen existing hand dug wells in order to ensure a year round supply of water. Course topics are:
- Course outline: Theory of Manual Drilling (Mzuzu Drilling)
- Basic Geology
- Mzuzu Drilling toolset
- Safety during drilling
- Drilling as a business
- Includes practice in the field
Exciting results from Try and Buy filter pilot in UsisyaRecently the CCAP SMART Centre and Temwa, together with two Virginia Tech students, visited Usisya for a half year follow-up survey of the Try and Buy filter pilot. The survey has generated some exciting and interesting results on the adoption rate, the willingness to pay for filters as well as health effects of using the filter. Some highlights:
- Off the households that collected the filter, 98% decided to keep the filter and pay for it after the Trial period has ended.
- At least 80% of the households use the filter all the time.
- Almost 90% of the households reported a drop in the frequency of diarrhea after they started using the filter.
- Improved health, ease to use, taste & appearance of the water were key factors for households to decide to purchase the filter.
- Over 95% of the users was able to demonstrate how to properly clean the filter.
Interested to support or join?